This is a chocolate lovers dream cake
Its actually very easy and most of all ,very moist and decadent
2 ½ cup all-purpose flour or cake flour
1 cup dark cocoa powder
2 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cup sugar
¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 ¼ cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
6 oz bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup cream cheese, room temperature
24 oz bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
4 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
4 cup powdered sugar
⅔ cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C). Grease or butter and flour 3ea 9 in cake pans
- Place flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder into a large bowl (or into the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) mix together until mixed incorporated . Add sugars and butter and blend until a crumbly texture.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs and vanilla together and add to larger bowl while mixing on low speed. Once incorporated, increase speed to medium-high and blend until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in melted chocolate until evenly blended, then scrape batter equally between prepared cake pans, tapping pans gently to remove any large bubbles.
- Bake cakes for 40 to 50 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cakes for 30 minutes in the pan, then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter and cream cheese on high speed, scraping sides frequently, until light and fluffy. Reduce speed and add melted chocolate. Add vanilla, salt, icing sugar and cocoa and beat until smooth.
- To frost the cake, slice each cooled cake layer across in half. Top one layer with icing and spread. Place second cake layer on top, and repeat with remaining layers. Ice the top of the cake and finish with the sides. Chill cake to set, but it is best stored at room temperature.